mercredi 19 août 2015

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

Goodreads summary:

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.Written by Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.


My review:

4/5

It's so much better than it looks! I had been looking at it ever since my library got it, but it didn't seem like something I would read at all, so I only picked it up because I heard good things about it. I'm glad I did, because it was really funny!

The writing style itself is pretty funny. I loved the "A Word From Your Sponsor" chapters, although I was confused by them at first, and the footnotes had so many interesting details that I couldn't stop myself from reading them. I really like the fact that the author created movies, TV shows, celebrities, products and events simply to include them in this book. Some were so incongruous that they made me laugh out loud, especially since I could picture them on some channels. I think this novel really made me realize how stupid our society can be to enjoy watching such things, because even though the movies and TV shows are fictional and improbable, they reflect some that actually exist.

I really enjoyed discovering the girls' personalities. There are a couple of them, but I feel like I got to know most of them pretty well and they're all interesting and different from the others. They all have different reasons to participate in the competition, as well as different pasts and passions, and I liked understanding them better and knowing why they all act like they do. The friendships they created while being on the island are fantastic and their character development made me really happy.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this book is probably how it changes the notion of "damsel in distress". The girls wish for princes to sweep them off their feet at first, but they quickly realize how amazing they can be on their own. They discover talents about themselves and stop depending on men so much. I really liked that aspect, since it's different from most YA novels.

The only reasons why I'm giving this four stars instead of five are that, while I enjoyed reading this book, it's not really my type and that a lot of the footnotes were boring instead of funny like the other ones. I wish they had all been hilarious and crazy, but I guess you can't always get what you want!

I recommend this book, even though it might not look like everyone's type.


9464733

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire