samedi 15 août 2015

Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler

Goodreads summary:

"Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?"
"Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?"


According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.



My review:

4/5

I really really really liked it! It's a really nice summer book, although you should know it's probably going to make you cry.

From the title, description and cover, I expected a love story. I thought this book would be about Anna learning to love again, and though part of it was about that, it's mostly about Anna starting to get over Matt. I was surprised, but in a good way, because it's all really sad yet sweet. It made me cry more than once and I felt really sad for Frankie, Matt's sister, too, but overall I'll remember this book as a very good one.

Friendship is a big part of this novel, too, and I really liked Anna and Frankie's. I did hate Anna a bit for hiding her relationship with Matt to her best friend, especially since it makes it even harder for her to get over her boyfriend's death, but part of me understood it. I liked how both girls supported each other when they were grieving and how close their families are, because it's not common for people to be so close and supportive all the time. The only thing I disliked about that is the fact that no one ever asks Anna how she feels, not even after they know that Matt and her were more than friends. She realizes it, too, but she never mentions it and I wish she had.

I liked how Anna's relationship with Sam was almost platonic. It's obvious that once their vacation is over, their relationship is, too, but they know it and they act in consequence of it. It's not often that I see something like that in YA novels, but I was happy about it, especially since the last thing Anna needs is someone holding her back now. I think it's realistic and well done.

I really liked this book and although it's missing something in my opinion, I would absolutely recommend it.


5231173

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire