mercredi 13 janvier 2016

Something Real (Something Real #1) - Heather Demetrios

Goodreads summary:

There’s nothing real about reality TV.

Seventeen-year-old Bonnie™ Baker has grown up on TV—she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker’s Dozen. Since the show’s cancellation and the scandal surrounding it, Bonnie™ has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it’s about to fall apart…because Baker’s Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie™’s mom and the show’s producers won’t let her quit and soon the life she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie™ needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own—even if it means being more exposed than ever before.


My review:

4.5/5

4.5/5

Well, let's just say it was really stupid to wait so long before reading it.

I'd avoided reading despite loving Heather Demetrios's other novel, I'll Meet You There, because I don't really like reading about celebrities. Authenticity is one of the qualities I value the most, so I was afraid I would be faced with characters that didn't have any, but I couldn't have been more wrong. While I can't say that with Chloe's mom and her stepfather, the rest of the family and their friends were some of the most realistic and amazing characters I've read about. Some, such as Lexie, start off as superficial characters, but I realized later that it was just a way to protect themselves from the horrible life they're living. I sincerely love all of them and I'm going to start reading The Lexie Project right now to see more of them.

I loved seeing Chloe grow. I loved her from the beginning, but it was evident that she had issues bigger than her anxiety and depression (which are both portrayed very realistically). She struggles to be brave and she has a tendency to run away from her problems, which she grows out of in this book. I absolutely loved her determination at the end of the book, which made her such a fierce and inspiring character. While it might sound crazy, there were times when I could really relate to her, even though I'm the farthest from being a celebrity you can be. I understood her and I despised so many character that this was probably an unheathly read for me, but I guess we all love to channel our anger into fictional characters once in a while.

The only slight issue that I had with this book was the love aspect. While I loved Patrick's determination, his protection and his love for Choe, I struggled to seize him as a character. He was very confusing to me and although I loved him for how important he is to the main character, I couldn't like him as an individual. Since this isn't a love story, it's not that important in this book, but after loving the romance in I'll Meet You There, I couldn't help but be disappointed a little.

I got much more out of this book than I expected, so I would absolutely recommend it to everyone. Don't wait so long like I did!

15789443

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire