lundi 7 septembre 2015

Finding Audrey - Sophie Kinsella

Goodreads summary:

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.


My review:

4/5

Still unsure about my rating, but I really liked this book! It's adorable, short and sweet, perfect to decompress.

I love how realistic the writing style is. I feel like I truly got to know Audrey, even without knowing exactly what happened to her. I think all of us got a pretty good idea of it, since most of us are well aware of how girls can be in school, so I kind of liked not to know what made Audrey so sensitive. Sure, I am curious, but it might be for the wrong reasons, because really, there's no need for me to know exactly what happened in her life. I perfectly understand why she wouldn't want to talk about it and I think that this is even better than if she had just explained every single thing about that traumatizing event. Some people might be annoyed by this detail, but I like its realism.

I like how this book explains the relationship between a psychologist and her patient. It could've been only briefly mentionned, but instead, Sophie Kinsella decided to fully include parts of their meetings, which I really enjoyed reading about. It must have needed loads of research, but it adds to the realism of the book, again. Many pieces of advice given by Dr. Sarah are important for me, too, which I found quite nice. At first, I didn't understand Audrey's need for sunglasses, because I simply thought she must look weird, wearing them all the time for apparently no reason, but when I actually understood why she couldn't take them off, I almost wished I could wear some, too. Taking them off is a big step for her, but we all know this is necessary, because she couldn't possibly live her life with them on all the time.

Audrey's progress truly made me happy. Sometimes, when she was with Linus, I felt like she progressed maybe a bit too much, because he's a bit like her hero and magically, she can do things she couldn't even dream of before, but I let that go and simply enjoyed seeing Audrey getting over her illness, step by step. Her appointments with Dr. Sarah reminded me that there would probably be a moment when she wouldn't be that well anymore, because you can't just go higher and higher, but it only made me want to read more to know what would happen.

I found Linus and Audrey's relationship absolutely adorable. Can we just talk about that paper kiss? Too cute. I loved how Linus helped not only Audrey, but her entire family, too. He's really caring and I love how he pushes Audrey to do her best, even though I feared it would be too much, sometimes. I wish I could find such a guy!

Frank was probably my favorite character. I love how rebellious he is, how much he cares about everything, from video games to his sister, and how serious he can be, as young as he is. He truly inspired me and I was touched by his actions more than once. He's a great part of the family, which is awesome itself. Sophie Kinsella never fails to create complicated, funny families that you get really invested in.

It's very different from the other Sophie Kinsella books I've read, but not in a bad way. I wouldn't mind it if her next books were more on the serious side, like this one, because I truly enjoyed reading it.

23305614

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire