samedi 19 septembre 2015

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic #2) - Sophie Kinsella

Goodreads summary:

The irresistible heroine of Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Ties the Knot is back! And this time Becky Bloomwood and her credit cards are headed across the Atlantic....
With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky's biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to pack light. But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he's moving to New York for business--and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say "Prada sample sale," Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury boutiques.
Surely it's only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky's bills miles away in London. But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line! Shopaholic Takes Manhattan--but will she have to return it?



My review:

4.5/5

Once again, Sophie Kinsella does it: she creates a funny, romantic and original novel.

I loved the first book in this series. Its idea is so original, so well-thought and so addicting that I know that, no matter how long it takes me, I'm going to read this series to its end, because it's really amazing. The continuation of the story in this book is just great. Becky is more aware of her tendencies, even though that doesn't mean she doesn't make mistakes again ('cause she makes A LOT of them in this book). I loved how she tried, in vain sometimes, to refrain herself from buying something. Her pride in doing so made me laugh so much sometimes, because I know how it feels to be proud of doing something that people don't even need to think about and we've got to support each other.

Becky's character is incredible. While she isn't perfect at all and she gets on my nerves (and on most readers') when she's so wrapped up in shopping that she spends way too much on clothes, accessories, makeup or simply random stuff, she's a character I absolutely love. We've all got our own faults and Becky's are pretty inoffensive, to anyone but her, if you think about it. She just gets herself in bad situations, but little by little, she learns.

I loved how Becky and Luke's situation progressed in this book, because I have to admit I was scared when I learned that they got in a relationship in the first book of a series and I'm always scared of reading more about some characters' relationship when I'm already satisfied by it. However, I feel like everything that happens in this book was necessary and I'm definitely happy with the way it ends.

There's just something about Sophie Kinsella's writing that's SO DAMN FUNNY! I swear, she's probably the author who cracks me up the most, and that's saying a lot. Whether it's what Becky's saying or doing or simply the way it's described, it's hilarious and I love this series for making me decompress. In this book, I felt a lot more sadness than in the first one, because there's some injustice that made me really angry and sad at the same time. I wasn't expecting to tear up while reading this, but a person's life can't always be great, even when it's a fictional character's. I absolutely loved the ending, though, and I'm so happy and proud of Becky. I feel like she grew up a lot in this book, maybe even more than in the first, no matter how subtle it is.

If you haven't started this series yet, please do.


9418

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire