vendredi 11 septembre 2015

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken

Goodreads summary:

When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.



My review:

4.5/5
GUYS THIS BOOK IS JUST SO GOOD! Obviously, I knew it would be, from all the good reviews I read about it, but now I just don't know why I didn't read it sooner.

I liked how intriguing this dystopian world is. In some dystopian novels, there's basically an explanation at the beginning of how the world works, why it's that way, what it means, etc. In this book, everything was just explained detail by detail through the story, which kept me on the edge, wanting to know more about this strange world and this strange life. I wasn't disappointed! It's complicated, crazy, infuriating, interesting and completely different from everything I've read before.
With the characters on the run, I was constantly scared that someone would be lying, or that trouble would be around the corner. It made me read this book quite quickly, since I couldn't let go of it without being forced to do so. I liked this fact about it, since it's been a while since I read something action-packed. With all the superpowers in this book, I felt like I was reading Percy Jackson sometimes, which obviously isn't a bad thing, since I love Percy Jackson.

This book has great characters. I loved Ruby, who's fierce yet fragile, and I loved how she acts with people around her. Her story is heartbreaking, so I truly have a soft spot for her, now. My least favorite part of this book is probably the romance, since I didn't fall in love with Liam or anything. For me, it was just alright, while the friendships are incredible. I absolutely hate Clancy, because he's the creepiest guy on Earth and I want him to die right now. I hate people who pretend to be someone else and who manipulate others, so obviously, I couldn't stand him. I felt so much anger and fear at the same time that I thought I would explode if something else didn't happen sooner or later.

I think this book has a great plot. I loved the story and I sure as hell am ready for the next book. I loved the importance of colors at the beginning of the book, which is why I kind of liked the book's first title, Black is the Color. I do think it could've been slightly altered, but I love how it fits the book.

I would highly recommend this series, even though I'm only at the first book. It sounds awesome and I can't wait to continue reading it!


10576365

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire